The Connected Competence programme helps equip the engineering construction workforce with transferable engineering skills that are in demand across industry sectors.
For employees, Connected Competence standardises competence and training requirements. In turn, this reduces duplication of training and assessment. For employers, it makes proof of competence, training and qualifications easily transferable across the workforce. This ensures that all workers operate to the same high standards.
Connected Competence improves efficiency and productivity for employers by making sites safer, eliminating unnecessary training and creating a workforce with transferable engineering skills that can move between companies and sectors.
The Connected Competence programme has been developed with some of the North Sea’s biggest service companies. Each company has committed to work together to use standardised training and testing based on the ECITB’s Technical Tests. If an employee moves job, the company will share the employee’s training record with their new employer. The scheme also benefits workers by giving them ownership of their certificates and qualifications, which means they can prove their competence when they move between jobs.
Connected Competence is still in its initial stages. Early adopters from the midstream and downstream oil and gas industry currently use the programme to improve competence and efficiencies on their sites. We plan to implement the programme across other sectors within the engineering construction industry to create a safer, more competent workforce better able to to transfer within and between sectors.
Aker Solutions, WorleyParsons, Bilfinger Salamis UK, Petrofac, Stork and Wood currently use the Connected Competence framework.
Trades involved in the initial phase of Connected Competence:
- Electrical installation
- Electrical maintenance
- Instrument and control maintenance
- Mechanical maintenance
More trades will be added as the scheme progresses.
Benefits for industry
- Reduced time chasing certificates
- Reduced duplication of training courses
- Simplified process
- A standardised competent workforce
- Reduced time to mobilise
Benefits for clients
- Greater visibility of workforce competence
- Easily transferable proof of competency status
- Simplified process and greater alignment
Benefits for employees
- A standardised way to demonstrate technical competence
- Reduced duplication of training and assessment
- Ownership of certificates with easy access to proof of competence
- Less time away from home during field breaks at the ECITB’s network of UK test centres
For employees who move to another Connected Competence company, additional benefits include:
- Simple transfer of competence between organisations
- Continued competence and development cycle instead of starting again.